Thank you for your interest in adopting one of our wonderful horses!
To begin the adoption process, please download and complete our 13 Hands Equine Adoption Application 7.1.2020
Our goal is to match every horse with a loving forever home.
To be eligible to adopt you must provide a reference from a qualified equine veterinarian and agree that once adopted, the horse will:
- Receive Spring Inoculations – Eastern/Western Encephalitis, Tetanus, Rabies (and any others recommended by your vet), and fall Inoculations – Influenza, Rhino, and any others recommended by your vet.
- Receive dental care at least once a year
- Get rotated de-worming as recommended by veterinarian
- Receive veterinary care for any illness and any serious injury. If a diagnosis of injury or illness cannot be treated due to financial reasons, the horse must be returned to 13 Hands Equine Rescue immediately.
- Be trimmed or shod by a qualified farrier, going no longer than every 8 weeks between farrier visits
- Be offered no less than 15 gallons of fresh water each day, either in buckets or in regularly cleaned out water troughs. A stagnant pond or creek is not an acceptable primary source of water.
- Receive the required daily feed allowance plus plenty of good quality grass or hay.
- Will not be worked beyond its physical limitations at any time or to put in harms way at any time
- Get daily turnout of no less than 8 hours unless there is dangerous weather
- Have at least one acre of clear-cut pasture with acceptable fencing and some shade per horse, and at least a 3-sided shed in the paddock to block wind and bad weather. Preference is given to anyone that has an individual stall for each horse (Variations of facility requirements depend on the horse, the region and the predominant weather.)
It can be returned by mail or by emailing us a scanned copy of the completed form.
There is a $30 one-time (per adoption) processing fee/donation for this application. This helps us defray the administrative costs associated with processing your application. You may either submit the fee on our website or you can use PayPal to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org (Marylou Tortorello). Please make sure you send this donation as a “friend or family” so that there is no fee from PayPal.
If you would like to have a horse in your life but cannot adopt at this time, please consider sponsoring instead! Check out Our Horses page for more info.